The Jubilee Ponds Engagement Day, held in July 2021, attracted our first group of volunteers and we already have a mix of established and newer residents who share their passion about looking after the wonderful green spaces on our doorstep.
Our basic philosophy is to have fun, no committees and many hands make light work.
We presently meet on a regular basis during the third weekend of every month, but there are also add-hoc gatherings to deal with things as and when they arise. Communication about volunteering activities is via a Group WhatsApp and we plan to use this website to keep a history of what we've been up to.
Activities focus around implementing the various tasks outlined in the Bleasby Green Spaces Matter plan - detailed information can be found on this website: click here
Examples of what Grasshoppers have been up to so far include....
- Meadow Engagement days
- WhatsApp group set up
- Inaugural working party: Aug 16 & 17th and 21st ….Centenary Wood tidy up
- Grass cut in meadow (thanks to Chris Foster), arisings cleared and yellow rattle sown
- Bird screen built
- Further improvements (inc. bench) to den building area
- Winter Social
- Ferry End tidy up
- Jubilee Ponds meadow hedge tidy up
- Meadow hedge and Ferry End fallen branch tidy up
- Centenary Woods Grass cut
- Basic first aid & life support course
- Level crossing tidy up
- Path tidy up & ferry end tidy
- Fire-pit and meadow triangle & marshmallows
- Glebe field Christmas tree and Jubilee Oak planting
- Ferry End tree in river (this wasn't an organised Grasshoppers activity but thanks to Michael, Peter and Chris Foster who gave up their day and took care of the tree)
- Bramble trim & paths tidy
As things progress there will be opportunities to help with smaller and occasional tasks along with non-physical activities.
So, if you are interested in helping out, meeting new friends (and old), having some fun and getting some exercise, please get in touch to find out more.
Just email: [email protected] with your contact details and Jo or Mike will call you back for a chat.