Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Warning - Blue green algae

By Avril McCormick Bleasby Community Website

Saturday, 30 July 2022

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Bleasby Community Website Contributor

VIEW ALL ARTICLES BY THIS AUTHOR

CAUTION!

Blue green algae

There is a serious algal bloom on the ponds at the moment.

Please keep children and dogs away from the water and avoid skin contact with the water or algae. It is highly recommended that you do not allow your dog to drink the water or swim in the lake.

The following information is from the Blue Cross animal charity website:

Why is blue-green algae dangerous to dogs?

Blooms of blue-green algae can produce harmful toxins which stop a dog’s liver from functioning properly. However, not all types of blue-green algae are dangerous. Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae contaminated water. Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog in just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water.

Concentrations of the algae vary throughout the year and may not always be harmful - but you can’t tell simply by looking at them whether or not they are dangerous.

For further information and symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning, please visit: www.bluecross.org.uk/advice/dog/ blue-green-algae-and-its-dangers-to-dogs

[email protected]

Contact Information

Avril McCormick

Find Bleasby Community Website

Bleasby, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

DIRECTIONS